Give ’em What They Want Microgrants
The Give ’em What They Want microgrants are internal grants applied for and awarded to BCPL branches, departments or teams by the Foundation for Baltimore County Public Library. The name comes from the philosophy created by former BCPL director Charles Robinson of customer-centric library service, which current director Paula Miller has updated in the current strategic plan, “Give ’em What They Want for the 21st Century.” The Foundation awards up to $10,000, with a max of $1,000 per application.
2017 Application Period Open
The Foundation is now accepting applications for the 2017 Give 'em What They Want microgrants. The Foundation will award up to $1,000 per project. The number of initiatives funded will depend upon the number of requests and amounts requested, for a total of up to $10,000. Projects should align with FY2018 System Priorities, outlined in the linked application. Application deadline is Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Marketing & Development will host an open house sessions to address any questions you may have about this process. Session will be in the Wilson Room on Wednesday, August 2 from 1:00 p.m. — 2:00 p.m. It is recommended that you attend if you are considering applying. If you are unable to attend this session, please feel free to contact Linda Frederick at x2457 or email@example.com with questions or concerns.
In 2016, the inaugural year of the program, there were 13 applicants for the microgrants, representing 10 branches, one department and one cross-functional team. The applicants requested a total of $11,212.41, of which $9,847.41 was awarded.
The following applicants were awarded grants:
- Adult Services – Veterans Arts Workshop
- Catonsville Branch – Stargazer Initiative
- Cockeysville Branch – Free Comic Book Day 2017
- Green & Sustainable Team – BCPL Green Expo
- Owings Mills Branch – Raspberry Pi 3 Project
- Owings Mills Branch – STEM Exploration Center
- Parkville Branch – Reading Buddies on the Move!
- Reisterstown Branch – Nature Backpack Kits
- Rosedale Branch – STREAM Station for Children’s Area
- White Marsh Branch – Pop Up Makerspace @ White Marsh
- Woodlawn Branch – Science in a Box Kits
Check back for updates on the inaugural grant recipients and their projects.